Research Engineer Battery Systems
You work on highly innovative concepts for next generation battery systems and take a leading role in promising international research for a better world.
Flanders Make is discovering new grounds in battery energy storage technologies to power a range of applications, from electric vehicles to renewable energy systems. More sustainable and safe battery packs are needed with higher energy, power density, and lower cost. To that end, you will design, model, optimize and test battery systems for various mobility and stationary applications.
Modelling of next generation battery systems
As a Research Engineer Battery Systems, you:
- Work together in a research team with expertise in battery system engineering, DC grids and power electronics, electrical drivetrains and cooling systems for highly dynamic motions systems;
- Take the lead in battery systems design and modelling integrated in mobility (electric vehicles, electric ships …) and stationary applications.
For advanced battery storage systems, especially new system architectures (e.g. hybrid battery), next generation battery cooling systems (e.g., Immersion cooling) and advanced battery state estimation algorithms:
- Figure out with the team how to design the battery system, from cell to module to pack, including characterization, prototyping and testing;
- Conduct research and development on batteries such as system architecting and design and model development (electrical, thermal and aging);
- Evaluate and compare the performance and cost-effectiveness of different types of energy storage systems (e.g., lithium-ion, supercapacitor) for specific applications;
- Conduct simulations and modelling studies to optimize the design, sizing and operation of battery systems (e.g., power management in hybrid battery systems);
- Familiar with BMS and BTMS;
- Experimentally validate your results in the lab;
- Present your work during internal/external meetings, (international) conferences, etc.
- Actively collaborate with highly interested international industrial companies.
Experienced engineers will also lead small, agile project teams. Young potentials will be coached by an experienced engineer.
Creative Electro-mechanical research engineer
- A PhD degree in Electromechanical Engineering or equivalent;
- Multidisciplinary background with proven expertise in Thermal engineering, Electrical engineering, and System engineering;
- Experience in 1D modelling with respect to battery systems, including electrical, thermal and aging, energy management strategies, integration of battery into a large systems (micro grid, EV);
- Ability to understand innovative battery concepts at system level (hybrid battery systems, next generation battery technologies, immersion cooling and … );
- A broad technical interest in vehicles and energy systems;
- Affinity with cell/module testing and CFD modelling (Ansys or COMSOL) is a plus.
- Passionate about research and new battery technologies;
- Open-minded and creative;
- Eager to write new project ideas into project proposals;
- Mature in professional communication;
- Result-oriented, responsible, self-directing;
- Eager to learn.
- Flanders Make gives you the opportunity to develop yourself within its network of leading industrial companies, universities and research institutes;
- A large international forum with guaranteed industrial and academic interest;
- An open-minded, flexible and challenging working environment;
- A warm atmosphere and top colleagues;
- An attractive salary with fringe benefits.
Call LIESBET DECUYPER
at the number: +32 11 790 590