Autonomous Robot Prototype Engineer – Integrator
You integrate and validate autonomous functionalities on mobile platforms including agribots, drones and AMRs (Autonomous Mobile Robots). Your prototypes introduce new automation concepts to agriculture, manufacturing, logistics and other sectors.
Autonomous platforms, whether driving or flying, have a lot of potential. In line with Industry 4.0, complex functions can be automated resulting in enhanced flexibility, safety, productivity, quality and/or reduced costs. Operational working functions; like a gripper to pick products or cameras to predict crop yields, can be more flexible and effective when mounted to autonomous driving platforms. In every research project, Flanders Make researchers are proud to demonstrate the newest possibilities of technology on a working demonstrator. We present the demonstrators to the public on multiple occasions throughout the year.
Integrate new sensors on mobile working platforms
As an expert or young potential in integration for autonomous systems:
- you work together in a team which combines expertise in indoor/outdoor localization, navigation, robotics, adaptive & learning control, connectivity, mechanical & electrical design, signal processing, machine learning and/or artificial intelligence;
- with the team, you discover new grounds in autonomous systems, explore new possibilities and add new autonomous functionalities to prototypes;
- where you take the lead in setting up a working demonstrator.
More concretely, for a variety of industrial cases (autonomous drones, mobile robots, tractors, forklifts), you will:
- Be engaged in the automation challenge from A-Z;
- Implement and integrate newly developed algorithms (Python, C++) on a demonstrator-machine to test and validate;
- Work on sensor selection (eg. Camera, GNSS, UWB .. ) and driver implementation;
- Discuss with your team members on the ins and outs, incl. component software and hardware requirements (eg. sensor accuracy, speed, pose, calibration,…);
- Improve the interactions between hardware and software architectures by using component, sequence and deployment diagrams;
- Code the interfaces to re-connect autonomous system operation information with the system software and/or hardware solutions;
- Identify, analyze and resolve system problems with a hands-on approach;
- Take the lead in software design & debugging, and be proud to witness the immediate impact of the repairs;
- Demonstrate your working mobile platform to companies on multiple occasions;
- Implement safety protocols and fail-safes for autonomous systems, especially if they are intended for use in safety-critical environments.
Experienced engineers will also trace and present industrial challenges and research opportunities or coach young engineers and lead projects.
Hands-on team player with strong analytical skills
- Master's degree in Industrial, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering, or another relevant domain (Electronics-ICT, Electromechanics, Automation, Mechatronics, Robotics, Electronics, Automotive ….);
- Experience with integration of sensors on machines, preferably robots or other autonomous mobile platforms;
- Proven experience with Python;
- Engaged to become excellent in other programming languages on the job (C++, …) and to gain skills in using middleware like ROS, MQTT brokers;
- Proficiency in working with the Linux operating system and command-line terminal operations.
Furthermore, we will need you to have
- Strong insights in kinematics of motion systems;
- Broad knowledge of automation concepts. You understand the basics of the associated technologies, and are able to interact with experts in their domain, eg. computer vision, artificial intelligence, sensor fusion, robot programming, path planning, motion control, state estimation and vehicle dynamics;
- Ability to quickly to acquire knowledge on standards for mobile robots (eg. vda5050) and on ‘state of the art’ sensors.
- A hands-on engineer;
- A team player;
- Strong in analytical skills and problem solving skills;
- Result oriented, responsible, and self directing;
- A good communicator;
- Passionate about research and new technologies;
- Eager to learn, in all the above.
- A challenging job, working with experts in various fields, using state-of-the-art infrastructure for autonomous systems, machine & vehicle dynamics, predictive control, data analytics, software prototyping.
- An open company culture with short communication lines;
- A multi-stakeholder research context;
- An enthusiastic, international team.
“As a prototype engineer, you serve as the bridge between cutting-edge research and real-world applications. Developing demonstrators to showcase the immense potential of technology and innovations is truly motivating. Every day brings new opportunities for learning and growth, making this role an enriching journey of continuous development,” Remi, Associate Application Engineer at Flanders Make.
Call LIESBET DECUYPER
at the number: +32 11 790 590